- Budget- Discuss with your partner how much you want to spend. The amount should include flights, accommodations, and excursions. Also keep in mind hidden costs like: daily resort fees, public transportation/taxi fare, tips, and immunizations.
- Length of time-Do you want to spend a week in Hawaii or two weeks exploring Europe.
- Travel Time-Do you mind spending 13 hours on a flight to Asia or would you prefer a 5 hour flight to Hawaii.
- Interests- Discuss with your partner what you like to do on vacation. Do you want to spend days laying on the beach or would you prefer an African safari?
- Privacy vs. Popularity- If you prefer locales with as few people as possible or do you not mind exploring popular destinations. If privacy is what you’re after, think about the Maldives. If you don’t mind the crowds, check out Greece or Italy.
- Time of year/weather- Picking the perfect time of year can save you lots of money if you choose to travel in the off season. Hotel prices are lower in the off peak season. However, research what the season will be when you plan to travel. You may want to avoid certain countries during the rainy season for example.
- Accommodations-Are you envisioning an over-water bungalow or a rustic in the cabins? Over-water bungalows are extremely common in the Madives, Fiji, and French Polynesia. However, there are also over-water options in Malaysia and Jamaica. Do a cost comparison to see which country has the best option.